It’s in the bedrock of who we are.
“Sustainability” is one of the most popular, albeit least understood, terms in our industry. Its meaning is often obscured by differing interpretations or when it’s treated like a ‘check’ on a sustainability checklist. At S.B. Ballard, environmental stewardship is critical. Whenever possible, we use green building practices and exceed what’s required by the standard. For us, “going green” isn’t a trend; it’s in the bedrock of who we are.
At S.B. Ballard, we ensure the practical use and management of natural resources throughout their life cycle. Long-term environmental concerns about the stock and flow of material and energy are an integral part of our mission to be good stewards of the environment. To that end, our goal is to create buildings that meet the present day needs of the built environment without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. This philosophy incorporates elements of construction, engineering, economics, environmental stewardship, and civic accountability. They all contribute to architectural integrity, technical innovation and transferability in the design and construction process.
LEED™ Trained and Certified
Our key field and office staff have attended U.S. Green Building Council LEED™ training courses and achieved designations of LEED™ Green Associate and LEED™ Accredited Professional. As a result we fully integrate LEED™ practices and sustainable design into all of our projects regardless of certification.
S.B. Ballard also provides LEED™ consulting services to our team members. We work with employees and subcontractors throughout all stages of a project from design through implementation.
LEED™ Certified Platinum
- P 743 Cargo Logistics Training Facility – Cheatham Annex, Williamsburg, Virginia
LEED™ Certified Gold
- P218V – Norfolk Naval Shipyard; Portsmouth, Virginia
- Lyman B. Brooks Library – Norfolk State University; Norfolk, Virginia
- Navy Lodge Expansion – JEB Little Creek; Virginia Beach, Virginia
- TCC Chesapeake Student Center – Tidewater Community College, Chesapeake, Virginia
- Nursing & Classroom Building – Norfolk State University; Norfolk, Virginia
- Radford College of Humanities & Behavioral Sciences Building
*These projects were contracted to meet LEED™ Silver standards. S.B. Ballard went above and beyond the requirements on the projects to achieve LEED™ Gold certification.
LEED™ Certified Silver
- Norfolk Student Center – Tidewater Community College; Norfolk, Virginia
- Building W-5 – Naval Station Norfolk; Norfolk, Virginia
- West Grace Street Housing – Virginia Commonwealth University; Richmond, Virginia