Powhatan Sports Complex was designed to provide Old Dominion University with the preeminent NCAA field hockey and lacrosse competition facility in the country. At the same time the building also plays an important role in the re-establishment of the Old Dominion football program.
This 2 story, 58,000 square foot new complex accommodates women’s field hockey and lacrosse as well as men’s football, providing each with a prominent presence in one building. The complex has a 6,500 square foot weight room, a 3,000 square foot training room, offices, meeting rooms and locker rooms. It also has a 100 yard and 60 yard football practice field.
The field hockey and lacrosse field has seating for 1,500 and a second story balcony area off the main building overlooking the field. There is also room for 1,500 temporary seats, when needed. In addition to the locker rooms and training areas, the complex features gathering space for alumni and recruits, including a hall of athletics which will display the accomplishments of the University's various athletic programs throughout their history.
Field Hockey and Lacrosse stadium includes;
• 1,500 permanent seats, with room for an additional 1,500 temporary/expansion seats,
• “Astro Turf 12”, the preferred playing surface by collegiate and professional players and coaches,
• The latest in technology for scoreboards, the press box, field lighting, concessions and restrooms,
• Easy access and parking for field hockey and lacrosse games and athletic camps,
• Ticket windows on site,
• The “big gun” watering system is capable of adequately watering the entire field hockey field,
• A high end Bose sound system. Sports Center- A state-of-the-art facility that includes;
• Offices, locker rooms, athletic training and strength training areas,
• Two-story terrazzo entrance lobby, that includes display areas,
• Outdoor 2nd level balcony, used for entertaining, overlooking the field hockey/lacrosse stadium,
• Over 6,000 square feet for strength training - includes the latest in fitness and weight equipment,
• Over 3,000 square foot athletic training facility,
• Video editing/projection suites to assist coaches with player development and game strategy,
• Enclosed booster area overlooking the north end of the field,
• Two visitor locker rooms to provide the ability to host multi-team tournaments, and
• Wireless computer access throughout the building.
Football Practice Fields-Two lighted field turf practice fields, including;
• One 100-yard practice field,
• One 60-yard practice field with a skills and drills area, and
• A fully integrated sub-surface drainage system to ensure the football practice fields and the field hockey/lax game field can be played on immediately after rain storms.